A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

14 Days of Valentines: Day 8 Plaster Letter P

It's day 8 of 14 Days of Valentines, a countdown to Valentine's Day one craft at a time.


I've always loved the cardboard letters, but have always thought, "I could totally make that."  And, I've finally gotten around to it.  I made my own letter "P", or "Plaster P" as I like to call him, out of a cardboard box and plaster of paris.  But, unlike all the other plain, old, boring letters out there, this P's got a little surprise.  Can you guess what it is?







Here's how I made it.

Supplies:
  • Cardboard
  • Tape
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Paint
Draw your letter onto the cardboard.  Cut it out.  Trace that piece onto another piece of cardboard and cut that one out.  Now you have the front and back pieces.

Next, cut out the joining pieces.  I used the width of the letter's end to measure out the width for the side pieces.  Now start taping





Next, mix up the plaster according to the directions on the package (mine stated, 1 part water to 2 parts plaster.)  I put on two coats of plaster, one light and the next a bit thicker.  After it has dried a little, sand it down to a smooth finish.



Next up, paint that letter anyway you like, or leave it just how it is.  I used a nagoya stencil (which didn't turn out exactly as planned.)  I'm still not completely sold on it.





And without further ado, the surprise you've all been waiting for...Our letter "P" is a love time capsule of sorts.  Love letters written by my husband and me are hidden inside.  Now if that isn't just the sweetest thing in the world I don't know what is.





Day 8 down, 6 to go!

Until next time,


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. this is so cool! I would love you to add this and any other posts you want to show off to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great alternative to the paper mache' letters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE!!! thanks for linking up at summit st joy :)
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project! I love the pattern you chose!

    I would LOVE it if you'd link this up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL going on right now!

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/02/feature-friday-free-for-all-6-little.html

    Hope to see you soon!

    P.S. I'm a new follower. : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that it's a time capsule! How great is that! What a nice surprise! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace