A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

14 Days of Valentines: Day 10 Our Song Lyrical Typography Print

It's day 10 of 14 Days of Valentines, my attempt at one Valentine's inspired craft each day.



I am always finding frames at thrift stores and purchasing them.  To say that my husband is a bit annoyed with our abundance of frames is an understatement.  But, I think it gives me flexibility for projects.  Like this one!

"Our Song" Lyrical Typography Print.


Recognize those lyrics?  It's Tom Petty's "The Wild One - Forever."


For your listening pleasure...


Here's how I made this for just the cost of the frame (I already had a sharpie and stencil on hand.)

I had this giant professionally framed japanese style print (thrift store find) that I have been dying to revamp and thought this project was killer for it, until two numskulls (me and the hubs) broke the glass while removing the frame.  So, to my stash I ran and found the perfect frame ($2 Goodwill find.)  It had a dark charcoal matting, but, unlike the large size of the first frame, this one only had an 11x17 opening.  I'd have to widdle the song down to just a few words. 

I started off by removing the frame.  The matting was two parts where the photo/print typically fits inbetween, the open charcoal front part and then the back full sheet off-white part.  Instead of getting an 11x17 or whatever size piece of paper, I decided to just write straight on that back piece.

I traced lightly around the inside perimeter so that I had a template on the back piece to fit my text into.


Most (smart) people would follow that by lightly drawing straight lines across the page, so that all the letters end up perfectly straight.  Then, most (smart) people would have some sort of spacer so that all the letters are spaced evenly.  But not this girl!  I just didn't have the patience, so I decided to wing it and use the trusty ol' "eyeball it" method.  Luckily, I wasn't too crazy and started off with pencil, which means, I did some a lot of erasing.  Seriously.  I burned through a new pencil's eraser. So much for my trusty eyeballs.



After I finished tracing out the text with pencil, I went back over with a fine point Sharpie pen.



Back into the frame it went and in its rightful place on the mantel.  I love it's simplicity.  The combination of the outlined letters, the black and white, and how using just the first few words of the song leaves much to the imagination.  I love it all.  Thank goodness we broke that first frame!


Day 10 down, 4 to go!


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Awesome! I’d love for you to come link this post up at From Scratch Friday (live now on the blog!).

    ~Christina
    http://marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-scratch-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! Your choice of font for it is wonderful! It gives it a really classic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I'm making this for next year, or just maybe for our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace