A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Knockoff // DIY Glass Bottle Lamp

I've been such a procrastinator lately.  I've had all the supplies to make this lamp but just haven't gotten around to it.  And it's another one of those 30 second projects, like The World's EASIEST DIY Laundry Bag, that had me wondering why I had put it off so long.


I was inspired by these gorgeous Eva Colored Glass Table Lamps {$99} from Pottery Barn.




Unwilling to pay $100 for a lamp, I set out to find a glass bottle to make my own and I found the PERFECT bottle at Goodwill for $2.  You might remember it from "Thrifting Jackpot."  It's a handblown glass bottle with a slight green tinge and tiny bubbles, very similar to the photo above.


Along with the bottle I picked up a Westinghouse "Make A Lamp" Kit for $10 and a 9" Jonsbo shade from Ikea for $10.  Honestly, I tried to follow the instructions and put the socket together but it just wasn't making sense to me so the hubs had to step in and come to my rescue.

The steps are pretty simple after you put the socket together.  Just attach the shade, put the socket in the glass bottle and screw the lightbulb in.  And, seriously, that's it.  So simple and $22 is MUCH better than paying $100.


Let there be light!


I know I'm not the first one to knockoff a glass lamp and hopefully won't be the last because you should definitely skip paying retail and make your own!  And if you're one of the many who have already done so, feel free to share.


SHARE:

19 comments

  1. I love this lamp, so simple and clean but very clever. Thank you for hosting and I am now following you on Linky Followers and would so love a visit and maybe a follow back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cute. & Clever. Love. Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Bottle Lamp. I've made four of my own that are very similar to yours. Stop by sometime and check them out. repurposedvintagefinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mallori! Loved your bottle lamp, especially that shade!

      Delete
  4. You did a great job on your bottle lamp, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love that lamp! Found your blog through Six Sisters' Stuff link party.

    jenmooremn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that lamp! Never seen one made from bottles (sometimes I think I live in a cave LOL)... now I have to make one!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks, Jennifer. Looks like you're out of the cave now and see the light...heh, pun.

      Delete
  7. I love it! It looks great. I found your blog through thrifty decor chic, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks McKae and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I wonder what they did with the cord in the original. They only show a cord in one of them... To my eye, cord management is the only thing separating yours from the fancy pants PB one. What a great find!

    I bet you could drill through the bottom and run the cord through. That's kinda hard, though, and you might need to remove the plug (depending on your lamp kit) You might also need felt feet to keep it level once the cord is run through, but you wouldn't have the cord sticking out (sorry, I'm unusually passionate about lamps, and hubby is an electrician, so I focus on things like that...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how did you get the shade to rest on top of the bottle without falling??? Love the lamp and can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I used a little glue to help it stay - also, Ikea's shade came with a part that sort of clips to the top. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love your version of this lamp (looks MUCH easier than drilling a hole in the bottle). I just have had NO luck finding a jug like that, and I've been looking for at least a year and a half. I have a giant gift card to PB leftover from my wedding (which was also a year and a half ago); I think I may just buy it. I'll splurge on this and go cheapy-cheap on the rest of the room's decor--that counts, right? ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! How on earth have you not spent that PB gift card?! I say splurge. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace