A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

DIY // A Budget-Friendly and Quick Bathroom Makeover

I'm in a "lots of jobs started and not a single one finished" rut.  I'm still in the process of painting the accent wall {if you've liked me on Facebook then you've already seen some work in progress photos and if not, you'll just have to wait to see the big reveal}, which means the open shelving and trim have to wait and the hubs is still working on mounting the microwave and putting up the window trim since the nice weather has allowed him to work on the foundation beam and mudroom flooring.  With all these left-undone projects hanging over our head, I've been getting a little ants-in-my-pants anxious about getting something done.

The kitchen was out of the question.  I mean, I could have worked on the accent wall some more but I just couldn't bring myself to wrap my now-arthritic fingers around that damn paintbrush and paint the same form over and over.  A quick project was in order.  One that would go from Before to After in a matter of hours and not get stuck in that awful During trap.  The bathroom was the perfect small space where, with a few quick changes, I could transform it from Blah to Ahh...in under an hour.



Our only bathroom is small, lacks storage and has no sense of style.  It does have nice natural light and we can work with the tile and builder grade vanity...for now.  We've had the supplies to give it a nice little makeover for weeks now, but the kitchen has taken precedence over any other DIY project.

Until today...



My first change was replacing that awful mirror {which was a mirror glued onto a piece of laminate wood} with an amazing Moen Glenshire Oval Tilting Mirror in Brushed Nickel that I picked up on sale from Amazon for $55.22.  I'd like to say that hanging it was easy and for most people I'm sure it is, but not me.  I was having issues with everything...I couldn't get the anchors in and threw a pretty embarrassing fit over it then realized reading the directions might help and discovered that I had drilled the holes too small.  After I put the anchors in and screwed on the mounting bracket, I attached the end post to each bracket and then struggled with attaching the mirror to the end posts.  I even dropped one of those tiny screws that tightens the end post down the drain.  Another tantrum ensued.  After a long cool down I realized that the end posts probably attached to the mirror PRIOR to being mounted to the brackets...and I could have avoided all of this if I would have read ALL of the instructions from the beginning.  You live, you learn...and you hide your face in shame, in my case.

Next, I tackled our storage issue by mounting two Baren glass shelves that I picked up from Ikea for $12.99 each.  The first shelf was mounted above the toiled months ago and, with the mirror in place, I mounted the second underneath it.  The downsides to these shelves?  They don't provide mounting supplies so the screws and anchors are up to you and they are only offered with a stainless steel finish.  I'll be breaking out the brushed nickel spray paint so that all our finishes match, but I can live with the SS until then.



With our countertops clear, I continued tackling our storage issue by implementing some towel storage.  Before, all we had was an over the door hook so we definitely needed additional storage for the bathroom staple. In a bathroom as small as ours, we wanted it to feel as big as possible so we chose brushed nickel hooks over a towel rack for their simplicity and lack of bulk.  I scored our Liberty Hardware hooks on Amazon for $1.68 each, now they're selling them for over $4.


So, let's check that list...Replace Ugly Mirror, Check.  Tackle Storage Issue, Check Check.  Now all that was left was to pretty it up a bit.  In addition to my beloved "By Order of the Management" etiquette print that I purchased years ago from John W Golden's Etsy shop, our white shower curtain from Target, an Ikea bath mat and a few vintage mason jars, I added towels that I picked up from Ikea for $7.99 each, a framed watercolor and a pretty plant the hubs got me for my birthday.





What'd we do with that strange mirror we replaced?  It's now hanging on our small entry wall.  I'm thinking a little revamp work on it with some driftwood is in order.



And that's it.  An updated bathroom in under an hour for under $120!  That sure makes me feel a whole lot better!

Is this bathroom really finished?  No, I have dreams of doing a board and batten wall treatment, peg board storage on the back of the door and replacing that builder grade vanity with a pedestal sink, so technically this "After" photo should be a "During" afterall.  But I don't forsee those dream changes happening for quite awhile especially with all those other projects hanging over our head.

And now I'm back to feeling anxious...better take another look at that After!





Do you have any quick and budget friendly updates?  I'd love to see them!


SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Fantastic update! Looks so fresh! Amazing what a few little changes can do! I'm now a follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zing! Now that's a makeover. No time,little $$$$. And a nice break from your kitchen, too! I love the "Wipe the Seat" sign. Might need to get one for myself~!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronwyn! Seriously, I would put those "Management" prints all over my house.

      Delete
  3. That mirror is beautiful! I can't believe you only paid $55. Nice job on the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I know, right?! Amazon has it listed for $68 right now, which is still a great deal.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Amber Rae. I love having that extra storage above the toilet and the glass shelf keeps it from feeling too heavy. {I am also a Rae...Meagan Rae.} :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it turned out great! I need to do something super-inexpensive to our master bath, which also is tiny. I think I will wait til the summer but your project shows me that a little effort can make a big difference:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela! Best of luck on your bathroom project, too!

      Delete
  6. What a big difference just those little changes made. And thanks for listing the links for where you bought everything. I've been looking for a mirror and glass shelves like that for my son's bathroom.

    I'm hosting a linky party for room remodels and think yours would be perfect. I'd love for you to join us. Here's the link:
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-your-favorite-room-linky-party.html

    Shasta @ In The Old Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for hosting the link party, Shasta. I will definitely link up my project.

      Delete
  7. Major difference! Great before and after photos! Love seeing them. Thank you for sharing at Meet Me Monday! Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really wonderful design for the bathrooms.It really wonderful crockery for increase beauty in the bathrooms.Mirrors and handles are really stylist look.It will be stitch on the designer wall.

    POS system

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just lovely! I love the shelf, mirror and brushed nickel! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your bathroom looks really good. I like you have a small bathroom and storage is always an issue. I was going to suggest putting a shelf over the door but can't tell if you have enough room. I have a shelf in mine and keep extra "toilet" paper in there. Love the hooks to hold the towels. I so love your hamper, and will be using it in my bathroom. We do not have any room outside the bath to place one either, so we are always moving dirty cloths from tub to floor back to tub. Yours is a great idea and love the hoop once again. Great job! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow wow wow!! I'm totally inspired!!! S glad I found you through L.O.S.T...I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great job! It's amazing how a few details can make a huge difference! Stopping by from Not You Ordinary Show & Tell Link Party!
    -Melissa
    There's No Place Like Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooks instead of a towel bar - that's brilliant for a small space!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The transformation is amazing!! Looks great! Thanks for being a part of our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you again real soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that its a quick upgrade and not a HUGE project, i love those!

    We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for linking up!!! feel free to share with your readers and grab a button to show your support!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace