A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Home Depot Workshop: Martha Stewart Living Holiday Projects

Did you know that Home Depot offers FREE Do-It-Yourself workshops?  Or that they offer FREE Do-It-Herself workshops geared towards women?  Neither did I!  I recently learned about this incredible resource from my local MOM's Club and I am stoked.  I can't wait to attend EVERY SINGLE ONE of these.  I'm going to be there so often they're going to get tired of me.

The November Do-It-Herself was Martha Stewart-ified.   We learned about her new collection of paint, faux finishes and glazes, plus ways to use them to create easy holiday projects.

First Up?  Tile Coasters.  I first attempted to use the Gold Glitter glaze, but the glaze kept seeping under the stencil and looked far too messy for this semi-perfectionist.  So, I went with the Oatmeal Crackle finish and it seemed to work a little bit better.  Still a bit of seepage.  Hot tip:  You HAVE to apply a coat of MS primer/finish prior to using the crackle finish which reacts with the finish to create the crackle effect.



Final Touch:  Poly Finish

The next project involved jazzing up some basic photo frames.  I skipped the dang stencils and just covered the whole frame with a terra cotta finish.

From This...

To This.
Up Close & Personal with the Terra Cotta

All in all, these were easy & quick projects.  Full disclosure:  Not my style, but it was a great opportunity to do some brainstorming and get out of the house while my husband was brewing beer.  

Next up?  Installing a tile backsplash on Sunday, November 20th and a Kid's Workshop where they'll make Snowman napkin holders.

So, what about you?  Have you attended any of the workshops Home Depot offers?  What have you learned?

Until next time,




Linked at:

Making the World Cuter
Today's Creative
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I think I knew they did kids stuff, but I never really knew about the women's ones. It looks like fun.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Home Depot workshops, but have never tried one. You have me thoroughly convinced now, that I must give one a try! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and crafty creations at Rook No. 17! I hope you'll join the party again tomorrow.

    Cheers!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace