A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pinterest Challenge Winter Edition 2013: DIY Terrarium

I've been slacking on the blog this week - there's just so much going on.  Track season started and we had our first day of practice on Monday and then I had a job interview on Tuesday at my husband's high school so I've been a little preoccupied, but I did manage to take part in The Pinterest Challenge Winter Edition!

Boy, did I need the motivation to get going on some projects.  Currently, I've racked up nearly 2800 pins.  That's a whole lot of inspiration, DIY, recipe and craft photos!  Last year during the Pinterest Challenge Winter Edition I was all about the coming of spring and made a Tin Can Man that still hangs in our yard.  Well, this year is no different.  I'm counting down the days until the rains depart and the sun takes up a semi-permanent residence.

Rather than getting my green thumb on outdoors I decided to bring the greenery indoors with a few DIY terrariums.


I was inspired by projects like this and this and was pleasantly surprised at the ease of the project once I finally got my butt to the store to purchase the plants and glass containers.  I scored three beautiful glass containers from the Goodwill in Bellevue, Wa while I was visiting my sister.


The containers can either be open or closed (with lids) - the closed containers will typically need little care as they create little ecosystems of their own.  If things are looking wilty and rough, remove the lid and water gently - a turkey baster works great for this.

To make your own, you'll need:
  • pea gravel
  • sand (or crushed charcoal)
  • potting soil
  • plants 
  • some type of container

First give the container and good washing and let dry.

Next, layer the container with pea gravel, sand (or charcoal) and potting soil (in that order).  I had each of these things on-hand from different outdoor projects like our pea gravel walkway and our window boxes. You can use a funnel to help fill containers with narrow openings, which I attempted but the opening in the bottom of the funnel was too small and things were going too slowly for this impatient lady.  I just used a spoon to pour it in which left a huge mess after I was done....nothing a vacuum cleaner couldn't clean up!


Once the soil is in place you can start placing the plants.  It is important to put plants that thrive in similar conditions together.  I picked up a few dry environment plants like a cactus and different succulents and starting placing them without any real plan in mind.  For those pesky narrow openings, a pair of chopsticks (or in my case, skewers) come in handy to aid in placing plants.



Continue placing plants until you're happy with the results.  I made two dry and sunny condition terrariums and had a bunch leftover that I just potted.  Then I made a third terrarium with a few shade loving plants picked from our back yard - a fern and moss.



To add a little quirk and personality, I placed a plastic kangaroo in the large terrarium.  Speaking of the large terrarium, apparently there was some moisture in the soil because it is evaporating and fogging up the seeded glass.


I love the results and the fact that it was a quick project but I'm a bit worried that my black thumb will strike again and all of my work will be for naught.  I have been known to kill a cactus or two....or many.

So what projects have you been putting off?














SHARE:

6 comments

  1. What a fun idea! I love anything Pinterest and I love the terrarium!

    Have a great day rock star!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kerianne! And right back at ya (rock star)!

      Delete
  2. This look incredible! I keep thinking about terrariums but then get nervous that they are hard to maintain! Love your tip about opening the top if it looks like some air and water could fix things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! I'm hoping I can figure these out or else I think I'll be rocking some fake plants in the future.

      Delete
  3. I love the containers you found for your terrarium! I shared a link to it on my blog today: http://www.everafterblueprint.com/?p=7251

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the share Andrea. I definitely scored at the thrift store on these!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace