A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Knockoff // DIY West Elm Scalloped Trees

You may have first seen this project at my guest post over at Type A Decorating!  I thought I'd share the tutorial here, as well.

Have you seen these West Elm Scalloped Trees?  Pretty awesome, if you ask me. They're constructed out of seagrass and styrofoam.  So, I thought popsicle sticks would be a great substitute and I picked up a couple styrofoam cones @ Joann Fabrics, which were surprisingly expensive for what they are.  And by expensive I mean $6 for the 15" cone.  Still less expensive than the West Elm version, but c'mon $6?

West Elm Scalloped Trees - $39-$79

Supplies:

  • styrofoam cones (15" and 12")
  • popsicle sticks
  • hot glue gun
 Total project cost for two cones:  $12

When I first started on this project I was like, Oh hells yeah!  This is easy as pie.  Well, my pie turned into a soufflé or whatever that crazy beef thing that Julia Childs made.  Point is, well, actually that was the whole issue.  My tree just wouldn't come to a point.  The thickness of the popsicle sticks was hindering all of my attempts to make it more pointy & tree-like.  My mistake?  I started at the bottom and worked my way up to the top.  I pried off the layer at the top and tried again, only to end up with another blunt top and a lumpy looking tree.


So, for my 2nd attempt I started at the top and it came out much better, point-wise.  Here are the steps to make your own scalloped tree.

Step 1:  Heat up your glue gun.  Bring the sticks to a point about an inch above the styrofoam and then work your way down with the first layer, gluing one by one.





Step 2:  With the first layer in place, start back at the top and adhere the second layer, making sure to overlap and cover up any spots where you can see the styrofoam underneath.  (Don't worry about covering up all the spots.  The third layer will take care of any open spaces left over.)


Step 3:  After the second layer is in place, start breaking the sticks in half and cut the broken edge so that it is straight.  (Or you could purchase shorter sized sticks that have rounded edges on both sides.)


Step 4:  Start gluing the shorter sticks, overlapping as you go.  This process is a little more time consuming, but pretty soon...you're all done.  And you have a beautiful scalloped tree with a semi-pointy top!


I'm definitely more fond of the scalloped look of the blunt tree with the ends tucked underneath the next layer and of course the point of the taller tree, so I'm just going to have to buy a third cone (perhaps a bit shorter) and make a perfect little combination of the two.

So, there you have it.  Two scalloped trees, similar to West Elm's version, but at a fraction of the cost.  Now that's my kind of decoration.

SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Love the simplicity of these and how you did them on a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing your link on various linky parties around. Love your version and think I may try it in the future. Great project to have the kids help with too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally FABULOUS!!! I love your knock-off! Looks easy to do and can fit with rustic, country, woodsy... so many styles. Thanks so much for sharing! Pinning it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I am a West Elm fan. Copy cat crafts are always so rewarding! Knowing that you could have spent $$$ but instead created a handmade keepsake for $. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! I love it! I'd love for you to link up to my Feature Friday Linky Party

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/feature%20friday


    Danielle
    Blissful & Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Nifty Thrifty Sunday...

    These are awesome! And I was thinking: Couldn't you make a tree form from some thin cardboard (like a cereal box)? That would make this project so much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great and very easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I saw these in the store the other day and really like them. Glad to have great instructions on a much less costly version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a GREAT project! I am a new follower for sure! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these! This is going on my list of things to do in 2012! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So easy to do, yet stunning! Would love love love for you to share this at my Best of 2011 party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com. Happy new year! My

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by to let you know that you've been featured at this week's {nifty thrifty sunday}! Come grab a button if you'd like! :)
    Happy New Years!
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cool craft project! Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute post! I'm having a Linky party too! I would love it if you would link up your favorite posts. Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these trees!! I would be happy if you would post a link at my Show It Off Thursdays party at:

    http://ornamentplace.com/?p=978

    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Thanks for joining my linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was featurd today at http://ornamentplace.com/?p=1140
    Stop over and pick up an “I was featured” button if you like! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopping by to let you know I featured this project on my Christmas tree craft collection.
    Please grab a featured button from my side bar when you get a chance. Thanks
    http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/11/50-diy-christmas-tree-craft-ideas-collection.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace