A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Sunday, December 25, 2011

DIY // How To Make a Personalized Tap Handle

Hey there, Vamps!

Merry Christmas!!  My hubs loves beer (as do I).  And he especially loves brewing beer (as I do not. Just can't shake the mess or the stink.  But, like I said.  I love the outcome.)  So, what to get a beer brewer that has everything shy of a commercial brewery?  A custom tap handle, of course.  Luckily, I had the art ready to go. Back a couple years ago my graphic designer friend, Kat, helped me create some beer labels for mine and the hub's first wedding anniversary.  (My sappy self stuck with the traditional paper gift.)



There was no way that I was going to pay a buttload to have someone make one, so I scoured ebay to find a used tap handle with a round face, so that I could easily transplant the label.  I found so many oval and random shaped handles that I was afraid I wouldn't find what I needed and then I saw it.  In all it's perfect round face glory.  And only $10!  I jumped on it faster than you can say zwickle.


It's a Redhook Brewery Chinook Copper Ale tap handle.  (Redhook is our old hometown brewery, which made it even more perfect. Even with the impending defacement.)

Supplies:


Step 1:  Tape off anything you don't want painted like the metal connector at the bottom.  Spray a light coat to avoid running. Repeat. I ended up spraying 4 coats of the chalkboard paint to each side of the tap handle.  (The chalkboard paint allows us to write whatever beer is on tap and change it as the brew changes.)

Supplies #2:


Step 2:  Print label, cut out and apply to tap handle.  I used mod-podge to adhere it.

Step 3:  Remove tape.  Attach to keg, drink and Enjoy! 

Now all we need is a kegerator.  Next project?




What about you guys?  What did you get/make for your someone special?



SHARE:

3 comments

  1. that's so great! super smart about looking on ebay, i would probably not think of that for a tap handle! this would be great in our soon to be halfway finished basement saga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used your label to create a render for a cap, check it out http://grabcad.com/library/bottle-cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Voodoo, It's flattering that you used our artwork, but under the federal copyright law this piece is not available for publication of any kind, including public display. I would greatly appreciate it if you removed this piece from your rendering. Thank you.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace