A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Curb Appeal // Hanging Baskets & Container Gardens

Nothing says, "Hey, I'm a cute little cottage" like a few plants, right?  That being the impression I want this house to give, I needed to get my ever-expanding butt in gear.  With some nice weather on the forecast (AKA not raining) I set out to put my greenthumb to the test by adding some container plants to the front porch.  Hanging baskets and container gardens are an inexpensive way to boost your home's curb appeal while adding a pop of color.  All it takes are a few containers, plants, soil and water - so simple, the hardest part is remembering to water.



I'm not too scientific when I choose plants for my containers - I do look for plants that will perform well in similar conditions, are hardy and look good together. But nothing is ever set in stone - with the changing of the seasons I'll take a second look and transplant anything that isn't quite working or didn't make it.

For both the hanging & pot containers, I typically like to combine different heights with an overflowing element.


For these hanging baskets, I used:
  • Hardy Mums
  • Vinca Moonlit
  • Mezoo


For the containers, I used:
  • Hardy Mums
  • Coleus Vino
  • Coleus Rustic Orange
  • Daylilies

Just add a bit of soil to each container, place the plants, top off with more soil and water.






For some gorgeous container garden inspiration, be sure to check out this BH&G post and this Houzz post.  The possibilities are seemingly endless and it's amazing the difference a few little plants can make your home look and feel.



So what plants do you love to combine in your container gardens?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace