A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cleaning the Fridge // DIY Kids Magnet Organization

Ever have a pet peeve that is pretty ridiculous? But then again, isn't that exactly what pet peeves are?  Something very inconsequential that no matter how much you tell yourself that it really isn't a big deal it still seems to drive you bat shit crazy.  I have quite a few - probably more than any person should have.


Our fridge has been covered with little alphabet and farm animal magnets ever since our little man could crawl.  And by covered, I mean COVERED - the front and side.  They fall off or are thrown on the floor during one of Luke's godzilla-esque rampages.  And.It.Drives.Me.Nuts.  Instead of just saying forget it and donating them to another household I've suffered through for the sake of my kid's entertainment.  Not anymore, folks.


I picked up an Ikea Spontan Magnetic Board which is $12.99 and available in both metallic and white finishes.  I loved the industrial look of the metallic board and chose to keep it as is.  But it could easily be customized by painting with chalkboard paint, covering with fabric, or framing the piece.


 I used three pieces of copy paper to create a template for the mounting holes.



And then taped it onto the wall and screwed screws into the template's holes.



With the magnetic board mounted I finally got around to mounting another Ikea Bygel rail
This one is 39 1/4" long and is the perfect place to hold chalk and other artsy goods.  I used the level to make sure it was straight and then marked my holes.


Then while holding the rail, I drilled two screws into each side.


My little helper, who has pretty much ignored all the magnets for the past few months aside from knocking them on the floor, was all about 'em.  He stayed in his room playing with them for a good 30 minutes.  That's like 5 hours in kid time.




I don't know what's kept me from completing this project, but I'm so glad I finally did.  If anything just to have a less cluttered fridge and to be less peeved in general.


So what about you guys?  Have any quick and easy projects to keep you from pulling your hair out?



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. That is a fantastic idea! Those letters all over the kitchen floor and refrigerator drive me crazy!! Where do you get the little baskets to hang on the bar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Those baskets are from Ikea, too. They're in the same section (kitchen storage) as the bygel rails.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace