A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Before & After: Bland Nursery to Hip Big Kid Room

The old adage "time flies" is ringing true this week.  Luke transitioned from his crib to a big boy bed after he started scaling it like he was climbing over a pebble.  I figured that his room might as well get a big boy update as well so I turned to my good ol' friend - Paint.


 
I broke out some painters tape and two gallons of OOPS paint from Home Depot one in a semi-gloss white and the other in an eggshell gray and painted large stripes on the walls.  Once I got the gray on
the walls it was looking more baby blue, so with a little custom tinting by yours truly I had it the perfect neutral blue-gray.  And then I busted out another can of OOPS paint in a high-gloss black and some grout to make my own chalkboard paint for the wall in the back.  This update was super budget-friendly - it only cost me $21 for the three cans of OOPS paint (TIP:  Always check your local hardware or paint stores for mistakes.  They're often marked down to a fraction of the cost and you can mix it to a more favorable color like I did here.)  Now all that needs replaced is that BROWN carpet!



Posters from local events like the longboard surfing competition in Pacific City and local concerts, in addition to the Octopus Triptych I painted, adorn the walls.

The vintage dresser, which was his Grandma's, got an update with Behr's Glacier Lake.  An old coffee table leftover from my college days got transformed into an activity table with an Ikea Bygel rail mounted along the side to hold art supplies, a paper roll holder mounted on one end and a fun chevron pattern in Behr's Glacier Lake and Behr's Rolling Hills.  To keep magnets off the fridge and from falling on the kitchen floor, I mounted a magnetic board from Ikea above his desk and another Ikea Bygel rail below to hold art supplies and chalk.  The multitude of fabric bins hold his growing collection of toys - keeping the clutter out of sight. 








 Check out the complete transformation ~ video style!


Stay tuned for two great how-tos via Houzz (1:  How-to Make Chalkboard Paint and 2: How to Paint Perfect Stripes.)

So what do you think?  I know I've said this before but it's amazing what a little paint will do, right?  


SHARE:

5 comments

  1. this looks SO great! genius to buy the oops paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! And for a few bucks! Well done, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, LOVE this!!! Your site is adorable, found you through GFC blog hop!

    -Julie
    http://www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute room, I love the mini bean bags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea to buy oops paint! Why have I not done that before? I'll have to remember that ;) Loving that chalkboard wall too! I'd love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday link party. http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/

    Hope to see you there! Great job! And thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace