A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

DIY // A Budget-Friendly Fireplace Update

We recently bought a fixer-upper and with most fixer-uppers there are both things you love and things you hate about it.  The fireplace is one thing I feel that way about.  I love it's potential, but am having a hard time living with the way it is right at this moment.  It is all brick, has copper trim and copper vent plates, a cast iron insert and then a tile hearth.  The top half is painted the same color as the walls (a cream color) and the bottom half is high-gloss white.  Absolutely nothing matches.

 Here is the photo that was included in the listing.  Not really my idea of a focal point.


Our plan is something similar to this:


We love the built in bookcase, the wood mantel and the two windows flanking the fireplace.  The addition of the windows would add so much natural light to our space, especially since this is a southern facing wall.  I just can't wait until it looks like this!  But there's just many other more pressing issues that we have to deal with first, so our dream fireplace has to wait.

Yesterday, while I was redoing another chalkboard (this time with white paint around the trim) I had a brilliant idea to paint the fireplace and I am so glad I did!  I used my Behr Polar Bear White in a satin lustre to paint the metal trim and vent cover and then did the rest of the brick.  I went in knowing that it is just a temporary fix, so wasn't too concerned with priming the metal beforehand.  There's still work to be done with the tiled/metal-trimmed hearth, but with the addition of a quick coat of a greige (with more emphasis on the beige) coat of paint on the walls, this quick little update has made all the difference.




So, what about you guys?  What areas of your home were eyesores before, but with a simple change has them looking a whole lot better?


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. That looks so much better already! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love to see fireplace "afters". I painted mine too but have yet to post it.

    maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Don't lose the dream of going for the windows and bookcases on either side of the fireplace. Love the basket of wood on the hearth. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg,it looks wonderful and I agree with the previous poster not to lose your dream. Here's a link to my fireplace and mantle makeover. Please make yours the way you want it sooner than I did. It is so amazing how much more we love our family room...18 years was a long time to avoid it.
    http://www.helensdecor.com/mantle-and-brick-fireplace-makeover/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Meg you did a fantastic job. I don't have a fireplace in my new home, but I do plan on putting in a mantle. Your an inspiration. I'm following, so stop by anytime, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! We are seriously ripping out the brick on our fireplace and changing it. Thanks for your idea! Thank you for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you come back to share more great ideas next Saturday. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace