A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Knockoff: DIY Land of Nod Kid's Activity Art Table

Are you all familiar with Land of Nod?  They have the most radical stuff and I want all of it.  Not awesome?  The damn prices.

Land of Nod Kid's Play Table

Have you seen this activity table? Pretty sweet, huh?  Well, that sweet little piece of playtime fun will run you $450.  But in their defense, the two rolling storage bins and leg extensions are included.  Still, there's no way I could drop 450 clams on a play table. I mean, let's be real, I'm a stay at home mom with a budget to keep. So, what is a girl to do?  Copy it, of course, and I had the perfect table just waiting to be converted.

Supplies:

  • Table ~ ours was our old college drinking game coffee table
  • Wood filler
  • Paint
  • Dowel
  • Wooden end cap for paper roll
  • Stanely brand Safety Cup Hook (used to hold the paper roll)
  • Screws
  • Hanging Rod & Hanging Baskets from Ikea
Once again, I got to work sanding.  And, once again, I started to get the shakes when it came time to paint.  So, I moved the table to our laundry room and it sat there for months.  I was just not sold on painting the entire thing the Behr "Rolling Hills" green that I had picked up at Home Depot.  Until, I had a light bulb moment (ding!) and it dawned on me that this would be the perfect piece to paint a chevron design on (another thing that I find myself being obsessed with.)

And finally, after filling the ridges with wood filler, I was painting. Because I'm more of a "wing-it" type, I traced out the chevron pattern with a stray binder the hubs had laying around and then started painting the first of three coats "Rolling Hills" and leftover "Glacier Blue" (see a trend here?  Note to self:  A gallon is overdoing it.)

 


After a few weeks of just sitting in the laundry room (again!) with only one coat left to paint on only half of the table, I finally got my butt back in gear to finish.  I threw the last coat on the top and sides and then guess what happened?

Yep, you guessed it.  It sat there.  Seriously folks, It sat for MONTHS.  And while it sat, I worked on other projects, we celebrated Luke's 1st birthday, we moved, we worked on our new house projects, and WE sat.  I was so unmotivated to do anything aside from laze around on the couch that I hid the project from sight.  And then our little artist lit the fire under my butt by drawing on the walls.  The next day, I was up and painting the legs.  After a few coats and some hardware installation...


This art table was FINALLY finished!  I'm excited to start our first art project and just in time for Valentine's Day!


Check out those mini-beanbag chairs.  They are Land of Nod, but I scored them on Craigs!



So, what retail item have you thought, "I can totally make that!"?


SHARE:

19 comments

  1. That is freaking awesome! I love Chevron right now. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fund table! You did an awesome job!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! And I'm not saying it in that, " Wow! You blog and I blog so we have to say awesome and amazing and gorgeous about everything we make, right?! " way.
    I mean, " This seriously looks like something that I would guess was made professionally. Very, very cool. " way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding? This is AMAZING! I love it! Would you please come link this up at my place tonight so I can share it in a future post?
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com
    http://chattychics.com/2012/01/24/need-inspiration-wild-wednesday/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! So pinning! I am a new Pinterest follower visiting from Creative Juice Thursday. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fantastic!!!! Will be definitly keep this in mind when I start looking for an art table for my two youngsters. Would love to have you come link-up at Finished it Friday! Have a fabulous weekend! ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is AWESOME! I love the bold colors and the chevrons!

    Visiting from Naptime Crafters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have serious skills there my dear

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out great! I host a Home and Family Friday linky party each week. I'd love it if you'd stop by and link up!

    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute. Totally login' it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, this is GENIUS! I love that the kids art supplies are right there, and the chevron? Irresistible! Please come and share this (and any other projects you'd like to show off) at the Head to Head Showdown link party! It's all happening right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com I hope to see you there! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project. Thanks for linking up with "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope you'll be back next Saturday to share more terrific ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I had to feature this right? You kinda gave me no choice. It's a bit too precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This table is so cool! I love the colors and the chevron! I featured it today!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2012/02/five-feature-friday-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally rad! Spotlighting your post on my Facebook page today.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one's web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.
    Mitutoyo 177-140 Setting Ring, 35mm Size, 15mm Width, 71mm Outside Diameter, +/-1.5Micrometer Accuracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi.... great inspiration..... i was searching for ideas for a low table for my daughter who will be 3 on may 1st.... its a great work that you have done....congrats on the inspiring job and for the hard work you have put it... lets see what i can do....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace