A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

DIY Holiday Decor // Christmas Tree String Art

Just like every other holiday, I'm not a big decorator.  There's something about hauling all of the decorations out of their hiding places putting them out for a month and then having to put them all back that just turns me off.  I'm not a total Grinch - I do manage to garner up the motivation to decorate the mantle at Christmas.

This year I kept it pretty simple and traditional with my DIY West Elm Copycat Trees, a vintage window, Pottery Barn velvet stockings, lights and a cedar garland - and a new addition that I whipped up for Jo-Ann Fabrics & Craft Store's Celebrate the Season Campaign.  If this DIY Christmas Tree String Art isn't #fabulouslyfestive I don't know what is.




 To create your own, you'll need:
  • Embroidery Thread (DMC 25 Embroidery Thread #987 from Jo-Ann Fabrics)
  • Scrap Wood or Wood Plaque from Jo-Ann Fabrics
  • Nails/Hammer
  • Tree template



To make the process super easy, print off a template.  I found a simple Christmas tree online and sized it to fit my board.


Hammer the nails into the board following the outer edge of your template.


This was a project that was perfect for my handy little three year old to help out with.  I started the nails and he finished them.


Once all the nails are in place, tear off your template from the board.  Remove any stray pieces of paper.

Start stringing your thread by tying it onto the first nail - double knot it to make sure it is secure.  Trim off any extra thread.


Thread the string around the nails, starting with the perimeter and then filling it in by stringing it across diagonally.  There's no real pattern that I stuck to - it was a wing it type of project. Once a section is complete - tie it off and trim off the end.  Repeat until all sections are filled.



This DIY Christmas Tree String Art sends me straight back to grade school.  It's simple enough for a youngster to create but totally on trend right now.  Have you noticed all the string art projects?  I especially love the kids names or quotes but they all require much more effort!




So, what holiday crafts are you tackling?  Have any #fabulouslyfestive projects of your own to share?  Let's see 'em in the comments section.  Or do you need some inspiration?  Check out Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store's website for ideas and craft supplies and be sure to use this 50% off coupon in stores and online!



The following project is part of the Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores® Celebrate the Season campaign.  I received compensation for this project; however, this is my personal, honest opinion based on my experience.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace