A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Thursday, May 3, 2012

DIY // Perfect Painted Wallpaper

With the cabinets shining bright from their fresh coats of paint, the bare wall opposite our sink was needing a whole lotta love.  We have plans to put up some open shelving on the largest section, but that's about it.  Frankly, it's a little too blah for me so I set out to find a way to liven it up a bit.  With four layers of wallpaper underneath the new drywall I couldn't fathom putting another layer on these walls even with the awesome selection out there right now.  So I enlisted my trusty paint brush to save the day again via painted wallpaper!


 Here's a glimpse of what that wall looked like amidst the remodeling mess...


Of course chevron print crossed my mind, but I'm a little over the zig-zag craze at the moment.  Are you guys with me?  {Although I will confess that I do love this nursery by House 36 and am leaning towards this print for the seat cushion on the bench in the nook.}  So I scoured the internet looking for the perfect pattern and came upon the quatrefoil trellis.  I love this pattern and I'm not the only one.  Ballard Designs had a trellis wallpaper that they were selling for $119 for a double roll and Emily at Jones Design Company transformed the walls in her office with a stencil.  Jackpot!


I used the stencil provided by Emily and used the same double outline method.  Man, she's not kidding when she says it's tedious.  You trace the same stencil about a thousand times and go back over that with paint and then over again with a second coat in my case.  It's tiring, but the outcome is totally worth it.  All in all it taken me roughly 8 hours (obviously not in one sitting) and I expect another hour or two to get the 2nd coat on.  Now, if you're interested in this pattern but want to skip all the tedious work check out the all-over stencil at Cutting Edge Stencils.  It's sure to save you time.


So, back to that wall....After what seemed like weeks (probably because it was!) I finally finished tracing and painting the first coat and not without some crazy acrobatic tricks to get that hard to reach bottom area and corner.  Thank god for yoga and a husband who is very unselfish with doling out the back rubs (unlike his very selfish wife!)



And by golly, it's looking pretty damn good.  It's not perfect by any means, but if you don't sit there and stare at it all day long (hard, I know.) then you'll never really notice.  Hopefully.

I still have to paint another coat and we really need to get that trim back up, but I'm calling this one a victory and sharing "After" photos before it's technically finished but you can't blame me, right?



So what do you think?  Doesn't it just change the whole tone of the room?  It's true what the say...a little paint can work wonders.


SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I love the look of the quatrefoil trellis wallpaper stencil. I was just looking for one and I found some nice ones on etsy. I'm a little obsessed with DIY's also and this looks exhausting but totally doable! Good Luck!

    DiscoAirglow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's so totally doable! I can definitely see the benefit in an all over stencil (less room for error), but I love how this cost me zip! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Meg! That looks fantastic! And to think, you got your talent from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow.... that must have taken FOREVER!! But it looks Fabulous!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! Glad you stopped by to check it out. Are you all ready for Baby M arrive? BTW, I've loved your maternity pics!

      Delete
  4. You did a fantastic job! I can't believe you did a whole room that turned out like a magazine shot. You must be very patient and persevering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! That makes me feel great, but it is far from being magazine ready...especially if it's shot in HD. ;)

      Delete
  5. That is fabulous! I would love for you to share this (and any other house projects) at my "May House Par-tay" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing - I saw a tutorial similar to this on the Nate show yesterday... I think I'm gonna have to try! Awesome job! Would love to have you join in on my linky party @ stringtownhome.blogspot.com! Have a great week!

    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. You rock!! This is amazing and it looks absolutely beautiful!! We're so glad you joined us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks and come back soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to use this design for a while but it looks like so much work! You did such a beautiful job. I featured it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your wall is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this! Your wall looks so good. I've been considering stenciling my powder room - it's small and blah. Thanks for the "motivational pictures." ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace