A budget-friendly DIY & lifestyle blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

DIY // West Elm / Dwell Studio Papier-Mâché Animal Head


I gotta tell you, this project was easy-peasy.  I was pretty intimidated at first, but once I got going things just seemed to work themselves out.  Here's my first attempt at the ever-popular mounted animal head ~ mini-style.

Supplies:
  • copy paper
  • scotch tape
  • plaster
  • round wood plaque
  • liquid nails
Subject:

The awe-inspiring stag, of course.  Not only is this a beautiful creature, but I get brownie points from the hubs who is a Harvey Mudd grad.  (Go Stags!)  My choice for a mini-version was out of convenience (it would fit on our "control center" wall) and it would be less daunting than a lifesize version.


Steps:


Nothing technical here.  I started by twisting paper into forms that semi-resembled a stag head and antlers, then I wrapped tape around the form to mold it into the shape I wanted.  Once, I was happy enough with the paper/tape creature I mixed some plaster and spread it on.  After drying, I forwent the sanding and left the plaster rough and glued it to the wood plaque with some good ol' Liquid Nails.  (Note to self:  invest in glue gun.)  I tried to leave the wood in its natural state, but it looked unfinished and boring.  So, I painted a coat of Behr "Glacier Blue" that I had left over from the family dresser project. Wow, does it make a difference.

While it is obviously more bovine in nature (with antlers), it still rocks as a first attempt and it gives me some much needed confidence to tackle this subject in non-mini form.  Next time, I think I'll try using newspaper.  The thinness of the newspaper should allow for more accuracy in sculpting, so no more bull-stag.

Ah, kids!  I was just about to take a photo of the finished product when Mr. Grabby-hands snagged it off the counter and threw it on the floor.  So, after cleaning it up and doing a few adjustments to the proportions, I applied a coat of plaster, let it dry, then glued it with my trusty Liquid Nails.  Deja Vu?






Did I mention it was a mini-version?  I think its just about time to start on a bigger one. 

What about you, do you have any DIY animal head projects? 

Until next time,


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to hang out awhile and catch up on all of our DIY projects - or better yet, Subscribe and get future articles delivered right to you. Cheers!

© Revamp Homegoods. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig
09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace